Monday, June 1, 2009

Attack of the Blackbird

We had an attack of Blackbird at 7am this morning while I was getting ready to leave for work. I was in the cabin downstairs and Sadie was upstairs in the cockpit area which is enclosed by canvas and plastic windows. I heard a hullabaloo that sounded distinctly like last night's wine glasses smashing around. I came busting up, yelling at Sadie, 'What the hell is going on here'... Then I see Sadie has gone feral, cornering a blackbird who had the back luck of getting trapped inside the canvas area. The bird is flapping around and shitting everywhere in a digestive demonstration of its terror. Sadie's already got it covered but Ira rushes up out of bed to get in on the action. Forget two birds with one stone, we're gonna kill one bird with two dogs. Ira is indistinguishable from a rabid Ewok, hair flying, teeth gnashing. I can already foresee a big cleaning job with just the shit alone, but blood too? I have shit on my clothes and in my hair by now. I manage to throw the dogs downstairs and whoosh the bird outside... I had no time to make breakfast after the incident and subsequent cleanup. So there's a blackbird out there who owes me $8 for a soy latte and an eggy breakfast sandwich from Starbucks. Such is life in the great outdoors.