Thursday, September 17, 2009

Complacency in the Wild

The raccoons are a pretty regular event onboard now whether I leave garbage in the cockpit or not. Hell, the dogs don't even bark anymore when the coons climb on the boat at 3am. The other night I heard quite a commotion. When I looked into the cockpit, there were three very large coons throwing my rubber boots around, tossing the dog bowls into the air and flinging the garbage bag to and fro. When I opened the door, they jumped off the boat and stood by the dock box looking at me the way teenage boys look at a parent who turns down the volume on the stereo. I am now sleeping in the santized and re-functioned aft berth, formerly the poop deck. The aft berth is underneath the cockpit. Most recently when I heard the roving gang of reprobates come aboard, I couldn't even be bothered to get out of bed. I just kicked the ceiling of the aft berth a few times, like a parent banging the ceiling with a broom handle when the stereo is too loud upstairs. And I heard them slowly shuffle off the boat.